Building an ADU has never been easier or cheaper than now!
An Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU), also known as a granny flat or guest house, are attached or detached residential dwelling units, on the same lot as an existing single -family dwelling unit. An ADU must include complete independent living facilities for one or more people. A sleeping area, kitchen for cooking, and sanitation must all be present in an ADU. They generate great rental income, increase property value, and can enhance your family’s overall lifestyle.
A Junior Accessory Dwelling Unit (JADU) is a residential dwelling unit that is no more than 500 square feet in area, contained entirely within an existing single-family residence, and can have separate sanitation facilities from, or shared sanitation facilities with, the existing residence.
Cross Construction can help with all phases of building your ADU:
- Civil Engineering / Site Plan & Surveys
- Soils Testing
- Permitting & Fees / Utility Connections
- Building Costs / Schedules / Construction
Cross Construction builds ADUs all over San Diego and can help with all phases of your project. Cities throughout San Diego have different ADU requirements and have adopted different ADU programs. The city of Encinitas and San Diego have pre-approved designs to select from and have expedited the permitting process. Below is more information for the city of Encinitas. Contact us to learn more about your city's ADU building requirements and process.
City of Encinitas has created the Permit-Ready Accessory Dwelling Unit Program (PRADU), which encourages the building of ADUs:
- Offering selection of pre-approved ADU building plans
- Reduce pre-construction costs
- Expedited building permits
The city has contracted two architects to provide eight Permit-Ready Plans. Yvonne St. Pierre, AIA, Design Path Studio, and Bart Smith, AIA, DZN Partners.
The city of Encinitas passed a new ordinance that waives all city development fees and has provided pre-approved ADU building plans.
- EASIER – Multiple pre -approved building plans to select from
- CHEAPER – City Development Fees waived, Reduced pre-construction costs
- FASTER – Expedited building permits, Saved time on planning and design
Design Path Studio:
- Studio – 224 Sf
- 1 bedroom / 1 bath – 499 Sf
- 2 bedroom / 2 bath – 990 Sf
- 3 bedroom / 3 bath – 1199 Sf
Potential Program Savings:
- 3 – 6 Months of planning and design
- Average total savings:
- $10,000 - $18,000